The Fires of Sorrow

It has been 1 week and 1 day since my love, my best friend, departed this world.  I am alone.  The pain is a searing, hot, unrelenting fire that consumes my heart.  I have never felt anything like this before.  I am not sure what to do with myself.  The mornings come and the first thing I realize is that I am alone.  I. am. alone.  The daytime is filled with questions, devastating sorrow for what he went through, and debilitating self-loathing, wondering how I must have failed him.  The night comes and the reality of his absence threatens my very ability to breathe.  My chest caves in and the sobs and screams are the only thing that allow air to enter my lungs.  The silence follows the sobs, and the silence is deafening.  I don’t know what to do with myself, how to begin to live again.  I don’t reach for my phone to call him or text him.  I don’t accidentally call his name because there isn’t one second that goes by that I am not aware he is not here.  Our days, our plans revolved around each other.  We were that couple who PREFERRED time with each other over anything else. We didn’t have to make plans or have scheduled date nights.  We just were together, it was a given…..and that was everything.  I have experienced grief before, but never like this.  I have been thrown into the very pit of sorrow and it is the loneliest, most horrible place I have ever been.  There are so many questions here, so much mental torture.  It is so dark here.  

It is now, more than ever before, that I long for the presence of God, that I MUST cling to Jesus or lose myself completely.  It is now, that I know my ONLY hope is in the Lord.  I search for Him here, and in moments, far too scarce for my desire, He shows Himself.  I meditate on these words, daring to hope, attempting to draw LIFE from this place of death. 

“He has led me into darkness, shutting out all light.  He has turned his hand against me again and again, all day long….He has dragged me off the path and torn me in pieces, leaving me helpless and devastated….He shot his arrows deep into my heart….He has given me a bitter cup of sorrow to drink….I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. YET I STILL DARE TO HOPE WHEN I REMEMBER THIS:  The faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.  I say to myself, “the Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in Him.”  Lamentations 3: 2-3, 11, 13, 15, 20-24

This morning, I picked up Jon’s “My Utmost for His Highest” journal and read this:  "The way to find yourself is in the fires of sorrow."  I will insert a photo and you can see it for yourself what he declared, “may be the most important page in this book.”  

“Suffering either gives me my self, or destroys my self.”  Faithful God, please save me here so that I may not be destroyed.  Out of these ashes, please create something new and make me “nourishment for other people.”





Comments

  1. Jennifer keep your faith in God as he only knows what path in life each of us will follow. He understands your pain & your sorrow & only he and his son that he gave up for us can be your comfort.
    I think when we feel this pain it is God's reminder of the pain he felt when he gave us his only begotten son.
    You are loved by so many & I promise you - as long as you keep your faith in our Heavenly Father you will be with Jon once again.
    There must be a reason you are still here and as long as you keep going , you will know your path & the reasons for God's decisions.
    Give glory in this day & know there are many who need you & will need you & love you oh so much.
    I pray for your comfort & have asked God to wrap his arms around you so that you will feel at ease in this terrible time of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mel! I love your words of encouragement. Our hope is in the Lord!

      Delete
  2. Your postings and writings, as well as Jon's are a source of comfort for those who are going through sorrow right now, and hope for those who may be heading towards sorrow in the future. God does not need to use or allow pain and suffering to teach us or grow us, that's what Jesus did so we wouldn't have to. In this life, there will be pain and sorrow. It's just a fact. You need not seek God's presence because He dwells IN you! You have Christ in you, and He is your strength, He is your peace, He is your comfort. He doesn't give us those things, He is those things in, and through us! And, although you can't see it, Christ is so evident in you! Your strength in sharing your pain so eloquently, your peace when sorrow seems like it will consume you, and your comfort as you walk through the next days and months. You are walking in the fullness of Christ even though most days it doesn't seem like you can get up, no less walk! But you are, your words provide hope, encouragement, and inspiration! I'm in awe of you, and I know many others are as well. Karen Ingram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Karen, great reminder! God DOES dwell within me. Perhaps what we seek is a greater awareness in these times. Love you! Thank you for your many prayers and words of encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Jennifer, I haven't known you for a long time, and only through the internet, but I do know this, you did NOT fail Jon, and self-loathing does not honor your relationship with your beloved or with your Savior. Praise God, the same power that raised Jesus from the dead lived in Jon and lives in you!

    "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

    On this earth, you will never have answers, but someday you will. In the meantime, love remains. Jon's love for you, your love for him, and mostly, the love of our amazing Lord, for both of you. The love of many of us out here will continue to support and uphold you in prayer. I love you my friend.
    ~Karlene Turkington

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karlene. We are blessed to have friends and family, brothers and sisters in Christ who remind us of truth and never cease in prayers, holding us up by the strength of the Holy Spirit.

      Delete

Post a Comment